After a month of this challenge and baking up a buttery storm, I’ve decided to make something a little healthier this week. In this coconut carrot cupcake, there’s a ton of carrots! Maybe I’m not still over the orange-themed October month yet…
These cupcakes were super easy to make.
Recipe (modified from Martha Stewart’s Great Food Fast):
- 1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil, plus some to coat pan if needed
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (I used the shredding disk of a food processor)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Spread 1 cup of the coconut on a baking sheet, toast in the oven until golden brown, for 5 minutes (watch this carefully; coconut browns really quickly!) Set aside to cool .
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, 1/3 cup oil, orange juice, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in baking powder and soda, allspice, salt. Add flour and mix. Finally, stir in the carrots, walnuts, and the remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
- Oil a standard muffin tin or line with paper liners; spoon and distribute battter evenly.
- Bake until toothpick/cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool, before frosting with the below cream cheese icing.
- Garnish with the reserved toasted coconut.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, whisk (I used my hand-mixer) the cheese, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Use immediately, or store in fridge in a container up to 5 days.
I had some leftover brown butter glaze from last week, which I froze. So I halved the above cream cheese icing recipe and used both the cream cheese icing and brown butter glaze for these cupcakes. Both are topped with the shredded coconut! Alternatively, you can leave them unfrosted/unglazed for a quick on-the-run breakfast item. There you go – coconut carrot cupcakes, 3 ways!
PS: After sharing some of our goodies with a neighbor, we got some amazing blueberry pancakes in return. Yum!