Perfect for the Christmas season.
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- extra sugar for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream butter until fluffy, using an electric mixer (about 5 mins)
- Add egg and beat until smooth
- Add molasses and beat for a few more minutes
- In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients (except for the extra sugar).
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the batter by hand, mixing with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Cover the batter and chill (for a few hours) in the fridge.
- Spread the dipping sugar on a plate
- Roll the batter into small balls, and dip one side in sugar. Set the balls, sugar side up, 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. (they will spread quite a bit)
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cookies will crackle on top.
- Do not over bake or they will become too hard – as they should be chewy
- Cool, before enjoying
(adapted from the Girl Can’t Cook)