I don’t know where you are, but here in Vancouver, it definitely feels like Spring! While the rest of Canada is shoveling piles and piles of snow, we are strolling and biking amongst cherry blossoms! Here’s a cake to celebrate early spring (it was also our 3.5 year wedding anniversary – I wonder when celebrating 0.5 years becomes excessive? #dontcare) !!
- 3 cups all purpose flour (plus a little more for coating the pan)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons (can substitute with orange zest)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or add 2 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice to 3/4 cups milk)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen/fresh)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a bundt pan thoroughly, then sprinkle with flour and shake out excess.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- Combine sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Then use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar until well-mixed.
- Use an electric mixer (large bowl) to beat the sugar and zest mixture with the butter, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with 2 additions of buttermilk.
- Fold in the berries
- Spoon batter into the pan
- Bake in the preheated oven until toothpick/cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool (about 10 minutes)
- Remove cake from the pan onto the rack and cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Garnish with berries/lemon!