It was my turn to make a snack for my work meeting – I couldn’t decide between baking scones or muffins, since they are both great for a morning meeting! So when I saw this recipe for a blueberry lemon “scuffin”, I knew I had to try it!
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/2 cup water/milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh/frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (until butter is pea-sized, and mixture is crumbly)
- Whisk the water, juice, and zest together in small bowl
- Freeze the 2 mixtures in their separate bowls, for about 15 minutes
- In the meantime, preheat oven 425F, and line a baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat
- Add the blueberries to the flour mixture. Toss to coat, then stir in the water mixture.
- Do not worry if the dough seems dry. Lat it out on a working surface, and knead gently until it comes together (without overworking it).
- Pat into a 1″ thick disk, and then cut into 6 wedges (like a pizza) (I made them smaller, so it yielded 10-12 smaller scuffins).
- Place them 4″ apart on the baking sheet
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool then enjoy!
Makes 6 large scuffins, or 10-12 smaller ones.
Adapted from “Baking for Friends“